Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Week 7 Readings

      The article about for-profit colleges brings to our attention the fact that these colleges, such as the University of Phoenix, are heavily recruiting poor and minority students ("underserved") only to deliver them an inferior education. We come to this conclusion because students at these colleges are graduating at a much lower rate, have more debt, and defaulting on their loans at a higher percentage. 
      This really bothers me, especially the bit at the end that told us some of these colleges are now doubling as banks to finance their students, even though they expect more than half to default on their loans. But according to them, they are "serving the underserved". This doesn't seem right, but at the same time, I have to say some of this blame has to be on the students themselves. They should do the research themselves before attending these places to decide whether or not the degree they are receiving is worth the money. And if you don't graduate at all, who's fault is that? Lastly, if you default on your loans because you don't have a job, some of that blame goes on you too. Call me cynical, but I just think people need to start holding themselves accountable. Regardless, these colleges should not be trying to take advantage of all this, which is what this article is about. 
     The next article continues this theme, but makes a little more of a point about the pressures on these places to expand and create profit. It makes it a little more clear about why graduation rates at these places are low: because people are realizing they are getting a BS deal and decide to drop out instead of finish up their crummy education. So perhaps this takes a little of the blame off the students, if they are truly being mislead. I think that government should intervene. 
   The "Will the for-profit education bubble..." article pretty much makes all the same points, but is asking the question of whether or not people will catch on. It's really a shame that so much lobbying money can be spent and pretty much ensures they win the debate. Someone once told me "those who have the money, have the power. Simple as that." So true. I very last paragraph in that article sort of backs up my point: people should take it into their own hands, and not just rely on what these "recruiters" are saying. 
    The last web site was somewhat informational. It's nice to know that for profit colleges still only make up a small percentage of overall educational institutions, and perhaps that is why there still hasn't been much government regulation. I definitely think the "disadvantages" section outweighs the "possible advantages" section.

3 comments:

  1. Greg-
    It bothers me too that for profits like UoP are getting away with what they're doing, especially because it's so obvious due to the number of people getting ripped off and dropping out. I agree that people should do a bit of research before they enroll, but at the same time i think its important to look at what many of these people's other options are. A lot of them probably have no where else to turn to due to finances and being unable to commit to a more legitimate form of higher education.. only further supporting that "those who have the money, have the power."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greg-

    I don't think that it is cynical of you to say that people need to start taking some of the blame for their debts. If you enroll into a college or university you should have at least thought about how you'd have to pay for it, and if you have to take out a ton of loans then it might not be the best time to apply.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greg,

    I would say that I totally agree with Jeralyn when she points out that you can't be so hard fast that the students should do more research because for some that enroll this might be the only option. Also I read that the admission standards are much lower, which means that those that are entering the school didn't have much of a choice, and maybe they think that something is better then nothing. I like that you mentioned the government stepping in because I believe that is important as well, and while it sucks that the schools can put up so much money for lobbying, I believe that lobbying doesn't always guarantee that you will get what you want, especially since when the government puts their mind to something, they do it, regardless of what citizens think. I also have to say that I don't believe Caitlin is right about students taking out loans. I think that while a portion of the blame can go on the students, maybe the answer is more education about finance and college choices while people are younger, because I know a lot of people have no clue about how taking out loans will affect their future if they can't pay.

    ReplyDelete